Aug 22, 2009

FOOD FOR THOUGHT pun intended

What is it about food that just fills you up with a warm fuzzy feeling? I know there are those quintessential (i have no idea how to spell that and when I click spell check it just comes up in Korean so you will just have to go with it) comfort foods, ie. macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, honey nut cheerios, etc, etc, but it seems to me as though people automatically loosen up when food is involved. Just think about it...whenever you have guests over more often that not food is served, first dates often include going out to dinner, the best part about grocery shopping on a Sunday are the samples- unless you make the mistake of scarfing down a fish stick you thought was a mozzorella stick, not a fun suprise.

The most comfortable I have felt here has been when I have been enjoying a delicious meal. And believe me the meals here are DELICIOUS. Maybe its just me, and maybe that is why I never seem to be able to shed a few unwanted pounds, but it seems like the best way to become comfortable in an uncomfortable situation is to eat. Bon Apetite!

Anyways...I met up with Krista yesturday, which was great. She treated me to lunch and then took me into Seoul via the subway. She showed me where to buy a subway transit card thing that you just put money on and scan at the entrance instead of buying a ticket for each ride. So now I feel like somewhat of a legit foreigner instead of a helpless foreigner. I think I somewhat figured out how to use the subway, atleast enough to get myself back to my motel. We went to a part of Seoul called Insadong which has a bunch of little shops selling knick-knacks and such. I bought a scarf, my first Korean purchase, and then saw on the label that it was made in China. O'well. We had a few drinks and then ate dinner at Pizza Hut. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah criticize all you want but I was craving pizza and it hit the spot. It was great to be able to see Krista and actually have someone to talk to who understood what I was saying.

I start orientation at my school tomorrow. I'm very excited to meet the other teachers at my school, and I'm also very excited to have something to do to keep me busy. But I'm nervous about the whole teaching thing. I'm sure everything will go fine. Everyone says you just have to get through the first month and then things will be great. I look forward to that time, but right now I'm just a tad bit nervous.

Not much else to report here. The computers at the PC bang are no longer opening up my email so if you have sent an email in the last few days sorry. I haven't been ignoring you I promise. I will be moving into my apartment in about a week and will have internet there. Can't wait!

I hope things are going well for everyone back home.

Talk to ya later.

1 comment:

  1. You should write for a career. Go to talk with you last night.
    Love , Dad

    ReplyDelete