Aug 23, 2009

SQUATERS!@*&#^

I was supposed to start orientation at my school today but they pushed it back another day. According to my director the government says people need to wait seven days after travelling to make sure they are not sick. Whatever...one more day to relax and watch movies in my motel room. I've already watched The Parent Trap, Titanic, The Nanny Diaries, Matilda, Hook, and Mission Impossible 1 and 3. I will say the Koreans have pretty good taste in American movies.

I went to the hospital today for the infamous urine, blood, and the like tests that all foreign teachers have to take. The hospital seemed pretty clean and organized and nice...and then they handed me the pee cup and pointed me to the bathroom. In my 23 years on this planet I am perfectly proud to say I have avoided squating...that was until today. As if peeing in a cup isn't akward enough, I open up the stall door and its a squater toilet. I don't know if there is proper name for it but its basically a porcelain hole in the ground you squat over. I've been confronted with this situation before, whether it was at the bar in Hungary or while drinking by the bonfire, however, I've always been able to hold it until I found a place more comfortable to releave myself. If you think I'm being ridiculous, and squating is the norm for you then I applaud you. For me, well I've just always felt more comfortable sitting and relaxing. I didn't have a choice today though. I sucked it up and squated. I guess I can check that one off my list now. It's under the category "Things I Haven't Done that I Don't Really Care that I Haven't Done But was Kinda Forced Into Doing Them So Now I Can Say I've Done Them But Don't Really Care If I Ever Do Them Again".

I've forgotten to mention one of the things I love about this place. THE MOUNTAINS. I knew that a lot of Korea was covered in mountains but they basically surround the city. You can see them in basically any direction you look (as long as there is a break in the high rises). They aren't huge mountains but awesome none the less. Koreans are really big into hiking and I can't wait to go. And I'm sure it will be beautiful(does anyone else always think of Bruce Almighty whenever they have to spell that word) in the fall when the leaves are changing.

My director told me I would be moving into my apartment on Friday!!!!! I really hope so. It will be nice to be able to unpack and start to get settled a bit more. And it will be nice to be able to use my computer instead of always having to go to the PC Bang. I feel like I've smoked a pack of cigarettes every time I leave this place. O'well, at least I have a place I can use the internet.

Hope things are going well for everyone:)

Laters.

2 comments:

  1. OH, the pleasures of traveling abroad and using the bathrooms! Remember the one in McDonalds in Rome?? Lizzie and I decided we could hold it there too. I'm so excited for you to get into your apartment, and we hope orientation goes super tomorrow! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, How is it going at orientation?? We're anxious to find out about it. Hope it's been good, and you're meeting some nice teachers or people. Still moving in on Friday? Love ya and take care! MOM

    ReplyDelete