Oct 27, 2009

FAVORITE CONVERSATION TO DATE

The following exchange took place in my class today.  We are learning about countries.  It is between me and one of my students whom I really like named Yumi.  She is probably around 10 years old.

Yumi: Teacher what country are you from?

Me: I am from the USA.

Yumi: Oh, not Canada.

Me: No, the USA.

Yumi: Oh, I thought Canada.

Me: Nope, USA.

Yumi: No, Canada.

Me: No, USA.  Not Canada.

Yumi: Oh, so you should diet.  You are fat.

Me (laughing): What?

Yumi: You are from America so you are fat so need diet.

Me: Is everyone from America fat?

Yumi: Yes, there is so much food so just eat, eat, eat.  So you are fat.

Me (still laughing): Is everyone from Canada fat.

Yumi: No, no, no teacher.  Canada very big, but just one person.

Me: Canada is a big country, but not very many people live there?

Yumi: Yes.

(a few minutes later after sort of changing the subject)
Yumi:  Teacher are you Ms or Mrs?

Me: Ms.

Yumi: So you don't have wife...I mean you don't have husband?

Me: No.

Yumi: Do you have boyfriend?

(it is actually the second time I have been asked by a student if I am married or not, or if I had a boyfriend...the first time the girl told me I could marry her dad.)

Me: No.

Yumi:  I think no one like you because you are fat.

Me (while laughing): Yumi, that really isn't a very nice thing to say.


I'm still trying to understand if it is a good thing that she first thought I was from Canada because apparently Canadians aren't fat...only Americans.  So maybe it is a good thing that she didn't call me fat until she found out I was from the USA?

No comments:

Post a Comment