Feb 4, 2010

"I THINK WE NEED TO CHANGE THE SONG."

"YOU THINK SO, OR YOU KNOW SO?"
"I THINK SO."


That conversation right there is basically what teaching at a hagwon, private school, in Korea is all about. Never knowing exactly if you know exactly what is going on, never being able to get much of a straight answer out of anyone, then when you think you've gotten the answer, you get a different answer 20 minutes later.

I'm not meaning to complain. I'm a pretty easy going person, so the constant changing of plans doesn't really bother me. It's just fun to observe, and only slightly frustrating.

Teaching is an experience. Teaching English is another experience. Teaching English in another country is another experience, and teaching English in Korea is a whole other experience.

The other day one of my classes had to to write down their favorite fruit, and five reasons why they like that fruit, in complete sentences. This class is supposedly supposed to be in the second to the highest level at our school. Here is what Brian wrote:

My best fruit is pineapple, Because is so good. So so good. So so so good. So so so so good. It's yummy

Last Friday I had an annoying thing happen, but it was turned into one of the funniest things all with the help of a cute, little, sarcastic 6 year old. I had just started my kinde class for the day. We had finished asking everyone how they were, and why they were in that mood, and we were working on weather. Then our supervisor(whom I do really love, but that day she just really urked me) opened the door and asked my kids why they didn't have any books out. I don't know why she asked them, and not me. They didn't know what to say, so they just sort of looked from her to me. She then asked them if they know everything so they don't need books. The answer Ray gave was just priceless. Here's how it went down...keep in mind these kids are 6 Korean age, so probably 5, and in their first year of learning English, and also keep in mind Ray is a super cute kid who wears loose leggings and a fleece zip up everyday.

Supervisor: Why don't you have any books out?

no one answers because they don't know what to say...I mumble something about we are about to once we finish with the weather and such...she says something about them needing to finish their phonics books...I say something about yes we are going to do phonics we are just finishing the daily intro crap...she then turns to the kids:

Supervisor: Do you already know everything, so you don't need any books?

Ray: Yes, thousand thousand hundred know everything.

Supervisor: I'm sorry I don't understand.


I am super thankful for my school though. Schools that don't have a pretty solid reputation shut down somewhat often around here. I know two people who had to leave because their school shut down, and I know another three people who have till the end of February to find a job or leave the country because their school just shut down. It is somewhat luck of the draw when you come over here to work at a school. I'm super happy to be teaching at a good school, with a pretty good reputation.

That's about all. I think I'm going snowboarding again this weekend so I'm looking forward to that. Other than that not much new or exciting. I'm anxious for the weather to get warmer. There's much more to do when it's warm out.

Peace out...keep on keepin' on.

No comments:

Post a Comment