Feb 24, 2010

"TEACHER YOU ARE ROMEO AND JULIET AND DIE, DIE"

Last Friday I made my all time favorite little student, Ray, cry. It was not at all on purpose. He was offering me a cherry tomato that he had brought for snack. He just kept putting it in my face. I said, "No thanks, Ray. I don't like tomatoes." This was at the end of the day, so I was busy putting shoes, and coats, and book bags on. I was sorta running around making sure every one had everything they needed and Ray kept punching me in the stomach. He sometimes does that so I ignored it for awhile, but then they turned into really hard punches and I said, "Ray, stop that hurts." I then looked at him and he had tears in his eyes. "Ray are you mad at me?" He just shook his head yes. "Why, Ray?" Then in the most heartbroken, sad voice, while trying so hard to hold back tears, "You don't like tomatoes." I felt so bad. I told him I would eat one. He didn't want to give me one anymore though. So I just gave him a hug, told him I was sorry, and thankfully he forgot about it by Monday.

Today one of my students asked me if I knew what son of a bitch means. Yes, I speak English. I know bad words in English. I think he thought he might be able to stump me with that one.

Some words are hard to define to students. Today we had the word cool. How do you define cool other than saying, you know...it's cool. Cool. It's undefinable. I think cool just is. To define cool would be like taking the coolness out of it.

Last week I had one of my classes write a diary about 10 things they want to do in their life and why. It mostly turned into 10 things I want and why. Most diaries were full of things like I want MP3 because I want MP3. There were a few gems though. For example, Jenna, one of my favs, wrote...I want a baby brother because I want to tell man what to do.

Going on a trip down south this weekend. Hopefully I'll have some cool pictures to post from that. Other than that, I hope everyone is doing well. Talk to you again soon...




No comments:

Post a Comment